Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tough Times Ahead: Do you need a hearty porridge to start your day?

Though my son is on a two-goal per game streak and I’m hitting nothing but fat posts, at least I have the energy to deke around 8 - 10 guys per breakaway (I skate so fast I go around some guys on my own team just to make sure they notice), thanks to my latest batch of homemade porridge.


It’s equal parts rolled oats and Red River cereal, along with several of my usual additives, i.e., corn meal, wheat germ, natural bran, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, quinoa.

It ain’t rocket fuel - but darn near.

***

Red River. Anyone else have it in their cupboard?

.

6 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Mmmmm...no, Red River here but I have plenty of quinoa. I knew a lady who made super cereal like this. I'll have to try this.

Anonymous said...

I have Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cereal I think. It's yummy with nuts and cranberries and keeps me going til lunchtime. It even tastes nice and doesn't feel too "porridgy".

G. Harrison said...

Hi ATT, you'll be glad you did. I scored one goal and narrowly missed on another, thanks in part or in whole to my Red River mix.

Now, for Jesse, I must ask:

"Doesn't feel too porridgy? Wait 'til you're my age and like foods that won't knock out a filling."

cheers,

Mr. H.

G. Harrison said...

PS to Jesse,

first coat of primer on cedar doll house finished before hockey. finishing up in 3 - 4 days.

cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr H, can't wait to see it. And I don't believe you live off mushy foods!

Anonymous said...

I got hooked on Red River Cereal when my beau made it for me while courtin'... he is warm in so many ways :)

I still eat it between steel cut oat days. This morning I tried french toast but I was still craving the hot cereal (and hungry way before lunch).