Monday, December 22, 2008

Victory Gardens: Something old, something new

In the 1950s I recognized the power of a magic garden and chicken coop.

Free food.

Or so it seemed to me - as a young kid.

A post about the topic prompted this comment from bobbie:

“During WW II, Mom and I had quite a large Victory Garden. Don't know why, I can't remember what we grew, but I remember working in it. I'm sure I ate what we grew, but she didn't.”


("How can you eat that awful stuff?" she would say.)

“Maybe we supplied some neighbors.”



What I discovered about Victory Gardens prompted some hope for an upcoming time when they will be needed once again.

Co-operative human energy produces amazing results.

Please link to Victory Garden.

***

Producing some of my own food would certainly be a victory. I may have a busy spring.

.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

Good heavens, Gord! I'm not as old as the people in that picture!

No, I don't really mind. I thought it was funny. But that picture looks like it came from the turn of the century. WW II didn't start til the 40's.

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

sorry re the photo.

i thought you might think i was showing readers a picture of you and your mother but i had to use it; i've never seen such an extensive, co-operative effort re gardening.

we have co-op gardens in london and I may join my brother in his patch to gain some experience.

cheers,

Gord H.

Anonymous said...

I think there's a co-op garden up on Jalna and Southdale but I've only ever seen one person working there and it looks a bit dishevelled.

I've worked out we've got about 1/4 acre out back and I need to plan space for veg and children to play. I've a lovely south-facing fence in the back I plan to grow courgette and beans over, and my south facign front yard will host peas and sweet peas on tripods.

Anonymous said...

There is a very nice co-op garden off the pathway on the edge of the Thames opposite Harris Park near Blackfriars. When I lived in the area it was the highlight of my walks. Especially in late summer when the sunflowers would begin towering over everything with their pretty little heads.

I'm excited that Jessica and I are pooling our resources and sharing out gardening experiences this spring. I really want to learn more too. I had a nice summer of courgettes, tomatoes and peppers but I am yearning for more. I have to plan a bit better this year... winter is always shorter than I expect.

G. Harrison said...

I like Jessica's front yard idea, peas on a tripod. I think I have cedar poles under the back deck that might do the trick.

i know our south-facing fence is perfect for cherry tomatoes and my adjacent neighbours like picking the ones that sneak through the slats.

i know my yard is covered in snow but the more i visualize garden spaces the more certain they will develop.

clevermonkey, the community garden near Blackfriars is where my brother keeps a space. while parking nearby two summers ago a young man said he'd like to buy my motorcycle when time came for me to sell it. great part of town, in my opinion.

cheers,

gord h.