Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Barack Obama: And now the real work begins

I don’t mind if he has one last dance with his wife before noon today and then kisses or hugs every last one of his supporters as they file out of the Most-Presidential Inaugural Bash (the most prestigious of all the balls, and there’s lots of them).

I don’t mind if he sleeps in ‘til three this afternoon and then wakes up a bit grumpy and says something a touch un-presidential like, “Ow. I shouldn’t have had those last two mohitos.”


["Peace, Mr. President": context for photo - Gord, 1969]

I don’t mind these extravagances because I know President Obama is aware of the huge task ahead - to plot a positive, deliberate, patient course forward for his country, my neighbour to the south.

Has G. W. swept and cleaned the last of his remains from the Oval Office? If not, be quick.

Today the real work begins.

***

I’m feeling better already, but I’m a patient man.

Are you?

.

3 comments:

Mojo said...

Oh I was feeling better yesterday when I saw "W" getting on the bus... er... helicopter outta town.

But my dear friend Daryl posted one of the most classic images I've seen of the week's proceedings in her post almost Wordless Wednesday bonus photo.

I was originally backing one of the other Democrats before the primaries were done, but after he dropped out and it became a two-horse race I hitched my wagon to Obama because, ironically, I thought he'd have less to overcome in the general election.

By the time the debates were over though I was a fan. Then after hearing him speak at a rally live I became a convert. Even a zealot.

But after the inaugural address, I'm now officially a believer. Unless a self-serving Congress derails him, this is a man that can take the US to a place she's never before been. The place she was supposed to go, where the founders of this country thought they'd pointed her 200 years ago.

And I can finally stop apologizing to my friends form other countries for being an American.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Mojo,

Though the second American I met called me a f--got (as per earlier post; 'To my American neighbour: Peace, hope and progress') those I have met in the last 40 years, including yourself, have been exceptional people. No apologies needed.

The political stance held by some presidents, that's a different story.

Your thoughts about Obama are similar to mine e.g. "this is a man that can take the US to a place she's never before been."

Dare to dream, I say.

Gord H.

Ps re Dylan's post. The photo was one of the best silent rebukes I've ever seen. I had such a good laugh too.

Anonymous said...

I came via Mojo's blog..I too am much relieved that I can stop explaining to people from other countries that most Americans don't approve of the former President. I have a lot of hope now....