Thursday, January 15, 2009

Near extinction: One premium tuna nets $104,700US

Before we get back to our regularly scheduled program (Mt. Everest disaster from 1996 still chilling Part 2) I’d just like to say:

$104,700US is a lot of money and I wouldn’t part with anything remotely close to that amount for a fish, unless...


[Fish facts and photo link]

Unless what?

Before I answer here are the facts, nothing but the facts, Ma’am.

“Two sushi bar owners paid more than US$100,000 for a Japanese bluefin tuna at a Tokyo fish auction (recently), about 10 times the average price and the highest in nearly a decade. The 128-kilogram tuna fetched the highest price (9.63 million yen or $104,700US) since 2001, when another bluefin brought an all-time record of 20 million yen.” Jan. 6, London Free Press

I wouldn’t part with that amount for a fish, unless I was a rich sushi bar owner and knew that large bluefin are almost extinct.

***

When will rich sushi bar owners become extinct?

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

Mmm... probably not while I'm living. I'm a big sushi fan. And bluefin is pretty much my favorite (mercury be damned!)

Usually rich sushi bar owners get much more flak over serving yellowfin tuna though, which is a protected species. The boats are still allowed to catch them, but the season has been shortened in much the same way as the season for Alaskan King Crab was. But legal or not, there's a big stir over serving yellowfin -- in any form.

I'm still not getting up off a hundred grand for a fish though. Nope.

G. Harrison said...

Mojo, I hope you are surviving winter. It's pretty crisp in Deforest City.

I walked right on by the sushi bar at a local Chinese restaurant on Tuesday - though everything looked perfect. I do take a nibble every now and again but I'm not sure if i have any favourites - or, what I'm eating!

I'll look for info re fellow fin tuna on the photo link page I attached to the picture. I may come back to the topic.

cheers,

Gord h.