Monday, January 26, 2009

Positive Signs: Shoppers aren’t buying disposable clothing

Recessions hurt and heal at the same time.

People have less money and consumption habits undergo positive change.


[Wanted: Smart shoppers]

In a previous post I mentioned changes in the clothing and grocery industry. For example, that people aren’t buying disposable clothing is a positive sign, in my opinion.

I mention my response to other changes in this Wednesday’s column [see It's Almost Wednesday, side margin] but didn’t have space to write about the Recession Collection.

Because Michael Ball, founder and creative director of Rock & Republic, believes the days of the $300 jeans are gone (Associated Press), he’s offering the Recession line ($128 to $132US) alongside his premium denim line, which retails for up to $280US.

Though you won’t catch me dead or alive in jeans that are worth more than a month’s supply of groceries, and $300 jeans may mean things are seriously out of whack in this world of ours (I’ll stick to used jeans for under $10 from Valu-Village), I at least appreciate Mr. Ball’s efforts “to keep the economy rolling and help shoppers open their pocketbooks.”

And jeans aren’t disposable, are they?

***

I don’t know... $300 jeans? The Recession Collection? Jobs are jobs?

.

No comments: