Thursday, February 5, 2009

Letter to the Editor: I don’t do canned strawberries - yet

I wish I knew how to preserve fresh berries because we might not see any more until July, or whenever local berries are ripe.

I say no more berries in February because this week’s most-used word is protectionism.


["I can make beer! Maybe I have the canning gene?": photo by GAH]

Political leaders are saying it, and now I’m saying it.

It’s a big word and I won’t be able to wrap my head around it this weekend (I’ve been called up to play hockey with my son in the Kawartha Lakes’ League) but I found the following from Dan J. Hilton thought provoking:

“The last thing the world needs now is protectionism” said Jim Flaherty this past week, proving once again that the Conservative government is out of touch with the reality of the Canadian majority. The first thing the world needs now is some protectionism.”


“How do you protect domestic jobs without violating free trade agreements?”

“How do you protect the environment without economic protectionism? The further you have to move a product and the more complexity in moving it, the more energy is required.”
[link to full article]

All this talk about protectionism, just a few months after dropping off 30-year old canning gear - big pots, glass jars, lids, rubber seals, the whole shamoley - at the local Goodwill.

***

Do you do preserves?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't! Ohhhhh, I'd've bought them off you!

Let me know before you drop anything else off. Especially that wonderful orange squeezer ...... I'm not shy about handmedowns.

Last year I "canned" pickles and peaches. The pickles were YUMMY (yes, I was surprised) and I hven't tried the peaches yet. I also do jams and chutneys - english-style, that is, without doing the hotwater bath thing. Reading all the canning books though, apparently this is a sure-fire way to botulism. In that case, how come my parents and I survived fine on jams and chutneys that hadn't been boiled? I'm confused, but the pickles were nice and I plan to do much more preserving next year.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jessica,

I know, I feel terrible. I get in these "clean up and downsize" moods and nothing is safe.

I think, for this year, I can start small and work my way up. I remember so well canned peaches, strawberries, pickles, corn... to get us through the winter.

Lost skills will make a rebound if our economy doesn't, but it's good to be prepared in either case.

Cheers,

Mr. H.