Thursday, March 26, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: I have a one track mind made of wood Part 1

I didn’t want to leave the comfort of home, my coffee time in front of the computer (brilliant ideas were flowing and multiplying like rabbits - I’m sure you’ve been there), but once my wife had batted her eyes at me after asking for a ride across town I couldn’t refuse.

Two blocks from home I was so glad I helped out.

I drove by several city workers in the process of cutting up old telephone poles and dropping 3 - 4 foot pieces at the curb.


["Red cedar. Minimal creosote residue": photo GAH]

Looks like red cedar, I thought. Perfect for wooden bowls. Another project for my workshop and lathe. Reduce, recycle, reuse. Yeh man.

I made record time across town, gave my wife quick instructions re how to safely exit the car at 30 kmp (drop, roll, tuck in your head, I’ll worry about the door), sped back to Old South and parked next to a freshly cut pole.

Red cedar. Minimal creosote residue. Trim one inch off with my bandsaw and I should have some of the nicest wooden bowls ever. And four insulators.

My wife will be so impressed. Hopefully, enough to forget about the old drop and roll.

***

Ever wonder how our marriage has lasted 38 years? Me too!

Any 'reuse' ideas?

.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a find, including the blue insulators!
I think definitely wooden bowls, maybe also wooden cutting boards, round ones of course!
Maybe with the leftovers, you can make cedar shakes for some of your birdhouses, that would be nifty.
P.S. Remind me never to ride with you when you're on a mission.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Gaston Studios,

Unfortunately, only one insulator was blue. Still, I have one or two already and if I want more I'll revisit a place found last year where 3 - 4 dozen sit atop unused poles.

I like the cedar shake idea. Small houses, small shakes, very eye-catching - thank you!

Cheers,

GAH

Unknown said...

Hey, any time. We have cedar shakes on our second story and since you build birdhouses...

Any ideas for the insulators as yet? Of course, I think they're cool just sitting around.

Unknown said...

And you can call me Jane... cause that's my name.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

As part of an upcoming reno in my workshop (less pegboard, more cedar siding and deeper shelves for birdhouse and bowl storage) I thought I'd place a narrow shelf or two for insulators across my only window.

My dad used to collect them and ended up with a bushel basketful. Where are they now?? My three sisters might have a clue.

Cheers,

GAH

Jane said...

I have one or two blue insulators that might have been dad's, and a couple of nice opaque dark brown ones that I picked up somewhere else. I'm not sure what happened to all of dad's. I just display them on a shelf along with a bunch of old coloured glass bottles.
You know - gathering dust! If I decide to unload them do you want them?
jane

G. Harrison said...

Hi Hazel Nut,

I would take one more insulator but perhaps we should be thinking re a spring yard sale.

Cheers,

Gord