Monday, March 23, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: There might be such thing as a free lunch

The way I look at things, if I can build a solar oven using materials left over from the house reno rather than buy one ready-made [link to ‘Sport’ Solar Oven], then a free lunch is definitely within my reach.

I’ll insulate the oven with wool from one or two of my old sweaters. There’s that bulky one I seldom wear.


["Just dreamin'. I haven't built it yet.": photo link]

And hinges? I’ve got spare hinges downstairs in the basement tool cupboard.

Cookware? I could use one of our old casserole dishes.

Food? I guess I’ll have to buy food until my garden comes to the rescue... unless I swipe some from the kitchen while grandson Ollie distracts my wife.

OK, even though we’ll always have to buy groceries, I’ll feel lunch is free if I use solar power alone.

For a review of different types of solar cookers click here.

***

BTW. Does anyone know at what temperature bulky wool sweaters spontaneously burst into flames? Not that I’m worried. I haven't built it yet.

.

2 comments:

Myshell said...

Hi-Ya Gord! Been a long time, I know...too long. I've been enjoying your thoughts on solar ovens. I've always wanted a cob oven myself.
Oh and, I loved your cartoon of the Fat Economy...so true!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Myshell,

Long time no see - as we say In Canada.

I received a comment from someone recently whom I felt should search your archives. About what? I forget. But you were the perfect link, in my opinion.

And after a hockey game recently I talked to another biker and told him about an author who motorcycled through Twin Falls and your story about a relative w a connection to Evil Knievel's body guard. Small world, for sure.

I hope you, Lance and the girls are doing well.

Also, 'cob oven' is a term I haven't heard. Once I've built my gumbo cooker we'll compare notes.

Cheers,

Gord