Monday, March 2, 2009

My Point of View: “Manufacturers, suck up the recycling costs" Part 3

I asked a pointed question recently (“Should manufacturers be responsible for recycling costs?”) because industry currently pays between 40 - 50 per cent of our blue box costs yet produce 99.99 per cent of the trash that fills them, and I believe once industry has to pay most recycling costs they’ll get a lot smarter about packaging.

Bill D. wrote:

“If industry has to pay they'll just find a way to pass the cost on to the consumer ya know! You have to find the product that is using the best packaging and vote with your dollars. It's the way the world works, regulating and taxing will not help.”

I noticed something interesting about his first two sentences. Did you?

Bill's first point is worth repeating; industry will pass recycling costs along to the consumer. 

But, we'll have money in our pockets to pay the higher price if industry pays for their own responsibilities - not us.



Then, because industry knows costumers vote with their dollars, they'll try to reach a price point lower than their competition to attract buyers. 



As per my earlier example, more items might be sold in bulk and not in blister paks. It will be far easier for a nail, toy, candy, appliance manufacturer etc., to reduce packaging than for me to reduce recycling costs - unless I opt out of the system. (And I can’t do that, can I?)


Win-win for industry (leaner, smarter) and the consumer (we get to vote), simply by putting the responsibility where it belongs.

Amanda also said in an earlier comment: “Personally, I'm inclined to stick to my own 3 Rs. Refuse, reduce, reuse. Recycling shouldn't be a license to consume.”


***

Good one. Keep good ideas coming.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're trying to opt out of the system a la Amanda. I don't buy toys, I don't buy candy (my poor children) and I won't buy things with too much packaging.

Why do organic free range eggs come in plastic egg boxes that aren't recyclable while normal battery eggs come in cardboard? That doesn't make sense to me.

G. Harrison said...

I liked Amanda's 'refuse, reduce, reuse' idea too, Jessica.

The plastic egg boxes are new to me; our local store still sells eggs in cardbd. Plastic doesn't make sense except for price per unit to the egg marketer. That's where i'd say, "I'm willing to pay more for less plastic."

I'll save by eating fewer eggs, more oatmeal.

Cheers,

GAH