Sunday, March 1, 2009

Postcards from Socotra Island: 1 Photos from another planet?

I should call my sister Curious George. (Or Georgette).

She sends me photographs from hither, thither and yon.


Socotra Island [Wikipedia link], which is part of a group of 4 islands, has been geographically isolated from mainland Africa for the last 6 or 7 million years. Like the Galapagos Islands, this island is teeming with 700 extremely rare species of flora and fauna, a full 1/3 of which are endemic, i.e. found nowhere else on Earth.


So, not from another planet, but still a long way from my front porch.

***

I'm thinking road trip! Motorcycle season is coming, right?

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Never even heard of this place, but boy is it awesome! What stunning natural beauty! Thanks for sharing!