Monday, April 27, 2009

Land of the Eagle definitely worth $4

While in Bracebridge this past weekend my brother-in-law and I toured lumberyards, the Trans-Canada trail, the local Restore (supports Habitat for Humanity) and several back roads perfect for motorcycling.

[Cyclists - look for Butter and Egg Rd. north west of town. Do farmers have anything for sale? Funny you should ask).

And while taking a peek inside the town’s new community hall we spotted a ragtag of a church bazaar.

I rattled the change in my pocket and Jim and I went in search of a bargain.

I think I found one of the best deals there - a thick book - Land of the Eagle - re the natural history of North America.


Four bucks.

I thought, perfect for long rides on my exercise bike, while I rid my waist line of the peameal bacon breakfast I had Saturday morning at Kutz Deli.

(Kutz Deli: It’s a meat-eater’s answer to heaven on earth. My family stops in on every visit. I know I need to lose ten pounds, and everyone else would admit the same, if not admit to more, but in we go nonetheless. The waitress doesn’t even ask one brother-in-law what he wants. He just looks at her and smiles, and it’s not because of the coffee. Last time I went, I had a meatless breakfast and you could have heard a pin drop, not only at our table but in the entire joint. A waitress dropped a pot of coffee - no great loss as far as I was concerned - the clock stopped and two ladies shrieked and hustled their children out to their pickups. I’ll do the same again in 2010, and see what happens).

Though the peameal bacon, homefries, toast and eggs are worth the going rate, I think $4 for hours of mental air travel is priceless.

I’ll be on the Prairies by sundown.

***

Do you buy used books?

Found a treasure lately?

.

2 comments:

sheila said...

I buy used books all the time. As long as they are in pretty good condition and don't have 'that smell', I buy um!

G. Harrison said...

Ahh yes, the smell.

I'm with Sheila. Smell is a consideration. Land Of The Eagle past that test.

GAH