Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Photo File: A perfect spot to sit and relax with coffee and soup

Due to the all-time high (or low?) Canadian slump, I earlier recommended we “increase our enjoyment of local surroundings by 3 per cent this year” - you know, to take the sting out.


At the same time I recalled a perfect spot for a cup of coffee and delicious bowl of soup I found by accident two years ago.

While riding my bike east on the north shore of Lake Superior I pulled off the main highway on a whim and stopped along the main street of Thessalon, Ontario.

Not much was going on. With spare change I could have bought a well-worn building and pursued a career in barbering.


But in a small cafe a kind-hearted women (originally from Romania, and now the local heart-throb as far as two 80-year old gents were concerned) sat me down at al lace-covered table and made me feel right at home.

Hot coffee and butternut squash soup increased the enjoyment of my trip by at least 4 pr cent.

***

I will return to the north shore. Ever been to Thessalon?

.

No comments: