Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Simple Life: Birds make do in the smallest of spaces

While attaching a second birdhouse to the Annex (a small shed in my small backyard) I wondered if birds would find it under the spruce boughs.


[House from scrap, knot-hole entrance, flax oil finish: photo GAH]

Snow is in the air and hopefully a pair of birds who don’t mind getting their picture taken will settle in shortly, and not fly off when I aim the camera their way.

Birds make do in the smallest of spaces, don’t they? To a pair of finches, for example, twenty-five square inches of floor space, 6 inches of headroom and a shared backyard is prime real estate.

Though I’ve made dozens of birdhouses in the last three years (36 this spring, so far) I haven’t spent much time observing the tenants.

This year, I have my camera ready, am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for colourful neighbours.

***

Do you have birdhouses in your yard? Photos to share?

.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

My husband had a chickadee land on his hand and take away a sunflower seed - very cute!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Theresa,

I have heard that birds do get used to people around them, and drop in for visits at regular times.

I'll be interested in watching bird behaviour from my comfortable chair just inside the shed window, camera at the ready.

Cheers,

GAH