Friday, April 24, 2009

The Simple Life: I have some questions about my basic needs

I think it’s true:

“We walk through life
almost without thinking
where our feet fall.

And we don’t see much
because we’re too busy
doing unimportant things.”


gaharrison

I admit, the statements above aren’t very profound, but if I walk through life as if blind I’m really no good to myself... or others.

Besides, I could hurt myself.

So, I’m going to ask more questions about my basic needs - food, clothing, shelter, transportation, communication and recreation (a boy must have some fun) - and see if I can open up more time for higher needs.

[click here for context]

Michel’s comment re an earlier post gives me one idea.

She wrote:

“When you move overseas (especially to the third world) you quickly realize how much we actually have in North America. And how much you really can live without.



“I've had to do without a tv for the last month - and you know what? It has actually been liberating.”



No, I’m not going to move overseas. I like my wee house, especially the workshop and small yard.


["I can't leave. The apricot tree is blooming": photo GAH]

But, can I live without TV for a month?

What would I do instead?

Where would the free time take me?

Would I feel liberated?

Lost?

***

I’ll decide on Monday. I’ll be away all weekend, likely not watch TV, so I’ll be better prepared to create a challenge for myself, or not.

.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

We turned off the cable a year ago. I have some dvds for the kids if I need quiet time. And we borrow dvds from the video store or the library if we fancy a night in at the weekend. I don't miss it at all. I agree with Michel, it is liberating. Being without tv isn't new to me though, my family never had one when I was growing up.

Joy Tilton said...

Love your observations!