Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I bought it just to throw away but when the time came...

I laugh sometimes at my frugality (frugality being a polite way of saying I still have the first dollar I ever earned and you’re not getting it).

While preparing for the 2005 Boston Marathon I was told I’d need to buy some throw-away clothes.

Not in the habit of buying clothes just to toss out a window, I asked why.

“The buses that take you to the start line leave early, and the race doesn’t start until noon. So, you’ll be sitting around a long time. It can get cold.”


["Throw-away? What's a throw-away?": photo GAH]

I grasped the idea that I’d need warm ‘waiting around’ clothes, but why throw them away?

“Once you’re called to the start line you might not have time to take your extra clothes back to the bus. And thousands of people choke every street. Just throw them away.”

(What, the people? No, the clothes).

It made sense, to a degree, and it was nice to hear that a charitable organization cleaned up the route afterwards and donated all the throw-away clothes to a worthy cause.

So, I bought a lovely, warm, hooded, throw-away sweatshirt, got to the start line at 8 a.m., waited, waited, took several pee breaks, warmed-up, tried to snooze, was interviewed for the Jay Leno Tonight Show by Bobby from The Sopranos (my clip ended up on the editing room floor), and... because I had a marathoner’s speed, strength and stamina and knew exactly where my bus was parked, I took a little side trip before I was called to the start line.

The hooded sweatshirt is now an important part of my tasteful workshop ensemble.

It’s always dusty, but there ain’t no dust on me.

.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Most impressive--that you're a marathoner, that you cleverly kept your keepsake, and that you fess up. How long have you been running? And how many marathon's have your run? PS: stop by...I've got a little something for you ;-)

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

My oldest son (age 38) talked me into my first marathon in 1995 (I was a regular jogger), and I ran my 13th and last in Boston in 2005.

Half marathons (13.1 mi.) and a 30 km. road race in Hamilton (or 18.6 miles) were much more to my liking, but now I only run 6 - 8 miles per week and ride my exercise bike in order to stay in shape for weekly hockey games - my all-time fav sport. (Much easier on my knees).

How could I throw that sweater away? It cost me two bucks!

Cheers,

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

Hi again kathleen,

I visited your site but I'm not sure if it accepted my comment:

"Thank you for the honorable mention. As I browsed I noticed your thoughts about what you would do (if money wasn't part of the equation); life in a yurt idea is very interesting adventure.

A few of my friends have talked about renting one for one - two weeks at Silent Lake, about 5 hours north. Something I should pursue with more vigour."

Cheers,

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

For Jane, Gaston Studio;

Hi Jane,

I left a comment back at Gaston Studio, related to your post today, but am not sure it was collected by the server.

"Your stories are remarkable, Jane.

I think a Pulitzer Prize is on its way (it pays to keep positive about such things!).

I borrowed a line or two from a comment you left back at It Strikes recently. It appeared today in one of our local papers. (Sorry, no Pulitzer for that)."

http://beta.thelondoner.ca/SearchCat.aspx?cid=4186

Cheers,

Gord H.