Sunday, May 24, 2009

I googled 'birdhouses' - so I'll be busy for awhile

Two weeks ago, while showing my sister-in-law a few of my brilliant birdhouse designs, she and I came to the conclusion that I should write a book about my journey through the land of scrap lumber and feathered friends.

Interesting book titles followed on the tail of our brief discussion.

Build It And They Will Nest

Birdhouses, Scrap Lumber and a Long Learning Curve

Yes, It's Me Under All The Sawdust

Then I thought, maybe I should look for a few other designs so I look like I actually know what I'm doing.

So, I googled 'birdhouses.'

My gosh. There are millions of articles, websites, designs and images. If I made one copy of all the ones I liked I'd never leave my workshop. When I said as much to my wife she appeared delighted at the news.

Below is the favourite design I've found to date. I tip my hat to J. R. Davidson, who used teak and 1/4 inch aluminum as materials, provided a bottom clean out, circa 1945. [Click here for details]


My version of his design is at the top of the right-hand margin. Cedar scrap. Top comes off for clean out. Circa last week.

'Nough said. Back to the workshop (only 'til supper time, Dear).

***

Some older designs of birdhouses, homes, bikes, cars, toasters etc. sure stand up to the test of time, don't they?

Do you have something from the 1940s that just looks or feels right?

Let me know.

Cheers,

GAH

.

6 comments:

bobbie said...

Glad your blog's not brokke any more.

Love your birdhouse design.

Can't think of much I had in the 40's except my ukelele, and I can't find that any more.

G. Harrison said...

Hi bobbie,

my blog is fixed but I can't spell - "I'll me busy for awhile" _ ?? what was that?

I was born in the 40s - an excellent design, still tickin'.

Cheers,

Gord

Unknown said...

Welcome back Gordie and frankly, I like your version better than the original and I'm not sure exactly why that is, except it's more pleasant my eye.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

Thanks for taking a look at the two versions of the "J.R."

I made another version from cedar strips but my son may have taken it home before I got a photo - I'll check my files!

Grandson Ollie loves my shed, and is turning into a real sweeper. He keeps up with the sawdust i produce.

Keep well,

Gord

Kathleen said...

Yay--all's right with the world now that Gordie's blogging again.

Sorry, I don't have designs to share, but your instincts are marvelous.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for the visit.

There are millions of excellent designs out there. I'll be busy for many years trying just a few of them!

Cheers,

Gord