Sunday, May 3, 2009

If Gary Thorne sat on a hot stove, would you?

Right off the top, my apologies to Gary, one of my childhood friends from the village of Norwich, Ontario.

He came to mind when I added a few of the lessons I learned from my mother to my next column).

Many years ago, when she spotted me following some new trend, or I asked to buy a new toy because somebody else just got one, or I wanted to do something other than what she wanted, she used to say, “If Gary Thorne sat on a hot stove, would you?”

Geez, one time, all I wanted to do was wear my shirt with the top two buttons undone.

How did we get stuck on a hot stove?

(Trust me. I had some confused feelings at times. 1959 was a particularly whacky year, but that’s another story).


["My secret's out. I love used jeans.": photo GAH]

Now that I’m older I get what she was saying.

And, no, I wouldn’t sit on a hot stove if Gary did.

I’d say, “Get off the stove, eh. You’ll ruin your jeans, and a new pair of Levis aren’t cheap.”

Then I’d go on to say, if his pants were ruined, that he could buy good used jeans for $10 - 15 at Valu-Village.

“You buy used jeans?” he’d say.

“Sure. No more of this keeping up with the Thornes for me.”

***

Tell me about a lesson you learned from your mother.

And what is your favourite "used" purchase?

My Levis are in the top five right now.

.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great lesson you learned; unfortunately, my mother was more of the 'keeping up with the jones' type, so didn't learn anything of great value from her in that department. She was a strange woman!

My favorite used purchase is a barberry raincoat I picked up at a thrift store for $5! It's in excellent shape, fits perfectly and I didn't have to spend tons of money to replace my old one.

P.S. Left something for you on my post today; hop over and pick it up when you have time.
Jane

G. Harrison said...

A barberry coat - $5 - excellent score. I think I'll list my top ten used items. should be fun.

gah

Joy Tilton said...

Mom was a Goodwill shopper so I had many used pieces of clothing. I continue to bargain shop and do the consignment store thing, it's in my blood I guess! Last winter I bought a NEW LL Bean wool cardigan for $8, in the catalog it's $79! When you have the time come read...
http://grannymountain.blogspot.com/2009/04/life-is-short-wear-your-party-pants.html

twinkelydots said...

My Mom's words of advice that I remember because they were so insane:
"Learn to play bridge. It will help you get into better social circles."
"Cutting off your hair shows a sign of maturity."

Needless to say I've never learned to play bridge and you've seen my blog photos. My hair is long.

I am a big thrift store shopper. It's how I stock half of my store.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Joycee,

$8 for a new LL Bean cardigan - you found a winner, Joycee. You reminded me of the 'throw-away sweater' I bought for the Boston marathon. I'll post as story later.

Cheers,

Gord H.

G. Harrison said...

Hi twinkelydots,

very interesting advice from your mother; I half-understand the bridge advice - it was an opportunity to mingle.

But the short hair? I'm not sure about that one.

My hair is very short and I'm still waiting for the maturity!!

Cheers,

GAH

Kathleen said...

Everything I own if from a thrift store--Value-Village of ARC of Hennepin County. It would be pretty hard to to come up with one thing.

I think your blog is grand! Congratulations on your award. Stop by and visit sometime!

Kathleen said...

Oh, the lesson. My mom was a wise woman, and an amazing one. Among the lessons were these:

(1) Sometimes when things get too hard you just need to get in the back seat of the car and let God do the driving. (I do it when I remember!)

(2) Make a place in your house that is just for you. A place where no one else can come unless you invite them. (Still haven't done this.)

(2) You've got to watch your stress level. I can make your very sick. (Yup--I've learned that one the hard way, I'm afraid.)

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

Your three pieces of wisdom sound like healthy additions to any life.

Spiritual wisdom is hard to come by; I suppose I'd have to be a much better listener than I am.

I do, however, have a place I call my own - the shed (a wood shop; birdhouses are becoming an enjoyable hobby, something I picked up from my dad). No stress in the shed (or phones, clocks, deadlines etc.). It's a putter zone.

Cheers

GAH