Saturday, May 30, 2009

It’s funny how things work out sometimes

Dear Lisa,

When I met you the first time, I thought, you look like a person with a fine sense of humor.

So you’ll find this funny, I’m sure.

After you stopped in at my recent birdhouse sale and saw my version of the Rietveld chair on the front lawn, you not only bought a birdhouse (and a couple of other things - you're so generous with your money too) but later ordered two chairs, and I’m completely happy about those transactions.


["Gord's version of the Rietveld crate chair, circa 1937": photo GAH]

Well, the lumber is here for the chairs, all my tools are prepped, your deadline for chairs is 3 weeks away - I don’t feel rushed at all - and the weather is perfect for working in my shop, and for taking the occasional break to tend my garden right outside the shop door.

But a funny thing has happened.

Two days ago, while purchasing a can of oil and a filter for my 1984 Yamaha motorcycle, I just happened to spot - out of the ever-watchful corner of my eye - a glistening newer version of my bike, a 1994 model with even fewer miles on it than mine, and the price was definitely right... and guess what?

Oh, yeah. I bought it all right. (Birdhouse season has been good to me. And add in the chairs... you get my drift.)


["The 'new' 1994 Yamaha Virago": photo GAH]

The bike runs so well, and the weather is... well, you already know about the weather.

So, I may be asking for an extension on that deadline. And it’s the first time I’ve ever felt I’ve had to do that.

Funny, eh?

Cheers,

Gord

PS Lisa, if you hear a bike zipping past your place in about two minutes, that will be me.

***

Is it any wonder there are days I don't get much done around here?

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, well at least you're giving Lisa notice that you're going to late getting her chairs done for her. Personally, I'd have to throw some eggs at you as you zipped past... if I were Lisa, that is.

G. Harrison said...

Eggs would get my attention, Jane.

I just got back from my first ride on the new bike, happy as a clam, and will now go out back to cut lumber for 3 - 5 chairs. I'm aiming to have two finished by Friday.

Of course, if we get warm weather... off I go.

Cheers,

Gord