Friday, June 5, 2009

Coffee and the Art of Motorcycle Bonding

One full week with a new used bike - only two short rides.

I’ve got to do better than that or else my motorcycle and I will never be a team... and we need to be a good team if I want to ride to Temagami for camping or Halifax to fulfill a promise - in style and safety.

But things conspire to keep me home.

There are many woodworking projects, a craft sale on Saturday and frequent poor weather.

As well, grandson Ollie and I get along so well now, I hate to leave him behind.

He visits my workshop almost daily and cried yesterday when he saw me warming up my bike.

“No motorcycle, Papa,” he said. “Stay in shed.”

Fortunately, he settled for a nap and after he snuggled into my side of the bed I disappeared out the back door with coffee money and headed toward one of my favourite nearby towns - St. Marys, or Stonetown.


["St. Marys, or Stonetown": photo GAH]

Over coffee I reflected:

- The bike rides like a charm

- It’s certainly ready for a 2,100 km. trip to Halifax

- Temagami, closer to home, would be an excellent first long ride

- After only a few more short rides - to attune myself to the machine’s heft, sounds and rhythms - I’m pretty sure I’ll be fully comfortable

- Know the machine, stay within its limits and your own

- Adjust the shifter pedal upward, slightly

***

I’ll let you know when Temagami is a go.

I’ve never been, so anticipation will run high.

.

No comments: