Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Green Ideas 2009: My garden needs one more final victory

If memory serves, I came up with the plan to turn sod and plant my next Victory Garden way back in the fall of 2008 [see right margin for complete list of my brilliant ideas].

Not because my genes supplied me with a green thumb or Puritan work ethic but because gardening relates to ‘eat local’ and a cluster of other earth-friendly benefits.

I may also have been eating a cucumber sandwich at the time and thought, “I can grow my own for Pete’s sake. How hard is that?”

Not too hard, really. I turned soil with my hybrid garden fork, added compost, planted cherry tomatoes, Big Red tomatoes, Brussel sprouts, peas, Spanish onions and green beans - all quite handily.


["The hybrid fork: Fork from Austria, used handle from Fenelon Falls": photo GAH]

But then came a very wicked gray squirrel to my wee patch and the sprouts disappeared. So did most of the beans - twice.


["At present, the last of my beans": GAH]

In the last two weeks I’ve trapped three squirrels but not the wicked gray. His turn, however, will come. I guarantee it. And in the meantime I’ve planted more beans. (I’ll check a gardening center for Brussel sprouts soon).

Two pieces of information for the faint of heart:


First, I use a humane trap and release the squirrels in a park two miles from my garden. One beat me back home, I think - and I was driving my Civic at the time.

Second, I found a Brunswick stew recipe that includes squirrel meat. Seventy of the little beggars in fact.

The sound of it will seem unusual for Canadians I admit, but early North Americans and present-day Brits would be quite familiar with the taste.

What will become of that wicked gray squirrel? Time will tell.

***

Brunswick stew now usually contains beef, pork or chicken because meat is so plentiful.

I think, not forever. As we choose more food close to home, squirrel meat will make a comeback.

Do you agree?

.

No comments: