Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hand-me-downs aren’t everyone’s cup of tea

Did you hear the term “hand me down” in your house when you were growing up?

Did your mother occasionally say, “Here, try this on. It doesn’t fit your [insert appropriate relative here, e.g. older brother, sister, cousin Therese, Uncle Louie, Grandpa Jones] anymore.”

My mother said it to me many times and would usually add - to help close the deal - it’s too good to throw out, or, there’s still a lot of wear in it, or, you can’t always have new, Gordie.

And I just got used to ‘used stuff.’


[Sexy, and at home in my workshop: photo GAH]

I share this delightful piece of family history to partly explain why I paid 10 bucks for a used straw hat from Caracas recently, whereas a reader (Silver) said they wouldn’t, but would smile with me or at me while I practice my habit.

I say ‘partly explain’ because there may be other reasons I don’t mind buying hand-me-downs or used.

I mean, the hat looks really sexy on me. And who can afford to fly to Venezuela to buy a straw hat?

***

I’ll try not to overuse the sexy angle. Some of you have seen me in person. Sexy doesn’t cut it, I know.

Dusty? Cheerful? Has his own teeth? More likely.

.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it!

We're all sexy to someone (I think. I hope. I better as Mr. B!)

G. Harrison said...

Hi Kathleen,

My wife does like the hat, and the guy under it - bonus.

cheers

gord

Kathleen said...

I think your wife should be a guest blogger sometime! I'd sure like to hear her take on your adventures.