Thursday, June 25, 2009

What motivates me to ‘buy no new clothes’ in 2009? Part 1

I wrote about one of my personal goals for 2009 recently, i.e., to buy no new clothes until Jan. 1, 2010.

[For more exciting details go to http://itstrikesmefunny.blogspot.com/2009/06/update-re-no-new-clothes-until-jan-1.html]

I mentioned I have slipped up once, and it won’t happen again.

[For more depressing details go to http://itstrikesmefunny.blogspot.com/2009/06/update-re-no-new-clothes-until-jan-1_23.html]

(The slip was purely accidental. It’s not like I walk around with my goals pinned to my t-shirt. Plus, I act impulsively on occasion. And I suffer brain cramps about once per week. Sorry, I digress).

However, I buy used items once in awhile, whenever I feel flush (see sexy hat in post below), and recently asked readers how they felt about buying used.

Kathleen wrote:

“Are you kidding me? Everything I wear is previously used. Wouldn't have it any other way. Your resolution sounds like torture. But I'm impressed with your resolve.”



“Are you familiar with The Compact? Is this what inspired you?”

Though I wasn’t motivated by The Compact, I checked it out, and it sounds like we’re on the same wave length.

Compact basics include (copied from 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecompact/
):

- To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact.
- To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er).
- To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)

Compacters agreed to follow two principles:


- Not to buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)

- Borrow, barter, or buy used.

I think you’ll find my personal motivations are similar. Stay tuned.

***

Have you heard of The Compact?

Are you following their ideas or ideals? What’s your motivation?

PS Sorry, blogger.com is acting up and I cannot supply links or respond to comments - again!

Gord H.

.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

This could be very interesting. I will indeed stay tuned!