Thursday, June 18, 2009

Zoom w a View: Canadian and US bridges - the gap narrows

Last Thursday I walked the Nicholson Bridgeway in Chicago, a metal bridge with extravagant wooden railings.


[All photos by GAH]

The rain didn’t spoil my day.


Two days ago I walked a former railway overpass in St. Marys (40 km NE of London, Ontario), now a wooden bridge with metal railings.


The hot sunny day was perfect for a short motorcycle ride.

(I literally flew down several hills and through valleys. My 1994 Virago and I are almost finished the bonding process, and I’m dreaming about a longer trip.

Sorry, I lied.

Two longer trips).

Coincidentally, London will soon be connected with Chicago by air, via a direct 1 hr. 20 min. flight from London Airport.

So, I will be able to bridge the gap more quickly in the future.

Even faster than by Virago, though that was one of the trips I’d been dreaming about.


(Historic Route 66 starts in Chicago, at Michigan and Adams, and the Virago would be the perfect ride).

***

Bridge the gap. If you haven’t visited Chicago, you must go.

And London and St. Marys aren’t too shabby either.

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually love Chicago and love bridges, but haven't been on these.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

The lure of Route 66 might tempt me to Chicago in the next few years, while my Virago is in top shape.

Cheers,

Gord