Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Audrey Chair - a priceless Adirondack style

I have something priceless in my own backyard.

In early June I wrote a brilliant post (no guff, go see) after receiving a batch of scrap lumber from a neighbour.

(Let’s call my neighbour Jason... because that’s his name).


The exchange was fairly informal.

“Want some scraps?” Jason asked.

“Sure,” I said.

Then I ducked while he threw them over our shared side fence.

The pieces of lumber became The Audrey Chair, so named because I discovered while cutting or sanding that Jason’s 6 year-old daughter had printed her name on what had become an arm rest.


["A million dollar signature?": photos by GAH]

He saw the finished product recently and said, “Because it has Audrey’s name on it I feel like I should buy it back.”

“I’ll come up with a price,” I said, while doing my best fisherman routine, tugging at a fishing line caught in a big sucker’s mouth.

Jason and I shared a good laugh about that. I think he knows I have him right where I want him.

***

So, how much to charge?

Not a hard question, is it?

.

No comments: