Friday, July 10, 2009

Packing my bag for a short trip to Ilderton

And it’s all in the name of extensive - and highly exciting - research for my next column.

Not only do I have to pack a bag, I have to warm up my motorcycle and make sure I’ve got 20 bucks in my wallet for lunch.

And in my tank bag? A pen, notepad, camera and typed survey sheet. I should be ready in another 60 seconds.

Though my weekly column has recently been about visits to other neighbourhoods in London I’m heading out of town after seeing a ‘then and now’ (1976 and 2009) set of aerial photos of Ilderton (a town about 15 km. north) which made me think, is Ilderton a nice neighbourhood?

Is is better than my home turf, The Village? [Not likely. The Village in Old South is home to Tuckey’s Home hardware and two coffee shops. Brilliant.]

Where do all the new residents (as per 2009 photo) buy groceries, hardware, ice cream cones or get a haircut?

If I lived there could I get around most of the time on foot or on a bicycle?

Is Ilderton now a bedroom community with most amenities a medium-sized car ride away?

Do some residents consider the town just another distant suburb to London? (I don’t think that’s the way of the future).

Do they have more than a bank, gas bar, restaurant/pub and barber shop to put them on the map?

We’ll soon see. After I type up a few questions for locals I’ll be on my way.

***

Survey results tomorrow.

.

No comments: