Saturday, July 4, 2009

Some governments deliberately add to our dilemma

I don’t think I would make a good politician for a variety of reasons, but if I was one (King Gord sounds appealing) I’d try to be a positive influence in my community.

And I’d wear pants. [See below - Ollie and Me: Who wears the pants in this family?]

I recently said that Alberta, one of Canada’s richest provinces, is in a septic tank load of trouble, then briefly (and brilliantly, I might add) explained why and Theresa responded with a very astute comment.

She wrote in part:

“Alberta is starting to fall, and the government is being completely reactionary, as usual: Fear-mongering, slashing spending and denigrating anyone who speaks out against it, in true ‘if you're not with us, you're against us’ style.”

“The current Alberta government is gutting and demoralizing the province and its people, and yet, they will still vote Conservative in large numbers when the next election rolls around. It seems there is a never ending supply of delusion.”

Not all governments are like this but when they become reactionary and negative toward others then they actually encourage voters to stay home and not get involved in politics. Negative political ads, for example, foster lower voter turnout because people get turned off. Democracy and communities suffer as a result.

I think the negative approach taken by the current Alberta government is also a sign it is yet another government that divides its people at a time when every hand is needed on deck.

Governments that don’t unify the populace are out of step with our troubled times are are adding to the dilemma, are they not?

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, what phrase..., a brilliant idea