Sunday, July 12, 2009

Weekend Summary: It Strikes Me Funny

It’s a lovely Sunday morning. My wife and I just finished a small plate of scrambled eggs on bagel while sitting in the sun on the front porch.

Good time to sum up the past week:

Thumbs up to all the bicyclists that pedaled past my house while I ate breakfast.

I should have pedaled to Ilderton this week instead of taking the motorcycle; 20 kms. each way; I’d have buns of steel.

I’m grateful I didn’t hit that car that pulled in front of me on Thursday (posted below).

I slowly finished six J.R. birdhouses (my own version, at my own speed) in my wee workshop and started three more, using excellent scrap lumber found on a nearby curb. (It was 100-year old cedar. How could I resist?)

It struck me funny that so much new development took place in the small town of Ilderton (details posted below). Everybody has to drive everywhere to get almost everything they need. Far-flung ‘burbs will feel the pinch in 10 - 20 years, if not sooner.

While typing the last sentence I was interrupted: “You’ve caught another squirrel,” said my wife.

That’s my second one today, total of three for the week. If I had the heart to eat Brunswick stew I would have felt really self-sufficient at mealtime.

Sure, there’s more to the week than the above (note to self - send in two more invoices for my freelance stuff; it’s camping weather!) but I need to finish my next column.

***

Did you have a good week? Any highlights?

.

No comments: