Saturday, August 8, 2009

I’m a slow learner. More coffee needed for sure

A reader encouraged me recently to place more birdhouses in my backyard, even thought the two I have are vacant. (Strength in numbers?)

I think I know why I can’t attract birds.

1. Seven neighbourhood cats.

2. One dog on the other side of my fence.

3. One dozen evil squirrels hiding in the trees.


["Veer? What's a veer?": photos GAH]

4. And this just dawned on me this morning - after a big cup of coffee. The one pictured above is surrounded by spruce branches - and some birds like to have a clear path through the air to their nest.


["For the sports minded bird"]

How would they be able to get their young to leave the nest if the flight path appeared hazardous?



“If I jump out I’ll hit that big branch, Pops” the young would say. "My life would be over before it began."

“Just hop out and veer to the right.”

“Veer? What’s a veer?”

So, today, after a few jobs are finished, I’ll move the house to a better spot, one with no darn veer problems.

.

No comments: