Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Life in the fast lane shouldn’t come in the can

I’ve got phone calls to make (my mini-protest and upcoming column re Highland Country Club tax deal just got more interesting) so breakfast is nuked tea and a pb and j sandwich. No time for toast.

While putting the pb jar away I spotted the bane of my existence - powdered gravy in a can.


["Things I wouldn't put on my potatoes": photo by GAH]

Though my wife and I are getting older and busier (almost at the same time - it’s eerie), don’t take time to cook meat and potatoes on a regular basis, and eat out more, there are some convenience foods that send a shiver down my spine.

Powdered gravy? I see the “JUST add boiling water!” and immediately imagine the following scene:

Some guy named Biff is sweeping up the floor at a chemical factory and is about to throw a pile of dust and bits into a bin when he stops, scratches his head, and says to his foreman, “What happens if we add water to this crap?”

“It’s BISTO baby, it’s BISTO!”

I’m sticking with margarine for my powdered potatoes. You?

***

Isn’t instant gravy way over the line?

.

No comments: