Monday, August 3, 2009

Old time hockey players are tough hombres, maybe more

A friend just emailed with some tough news, but for him, not for me.

His message actually made me laugh.

He’s a good defenceman (sometimes goalie) and I won’t have to face him during our fifty-plus hockey games for a few weeks.

He wrote:

Hi GAH. I finally had my thumb checked out this morning and I have a broken bone that will prevent me from playing hockey for awhile.  The hard splint really limits mobility. 

The doctor was quite surprised that it happened 19 days ago and that I was just now getting it checked out. I explained that old time hockey players, especially aspiring goalies, are tough hombres.
Signed, RA


[“Tough hombres, Christmas a.m. run: Reg, David (son), David, Bill, RA, GAH (kneeling)]

I replied:

Your email really made me laugh. 'Tough hombres' is right. That's a good one. 

Plus, I'm sometimes reluctant to see a doctor because I'm pretty sure he'll find more than one problem, and give me a lecture.

Drop over to the workshop anytime; cold beer in the fridge.


I’m usually pretty chintzy with my beer, but he’s suffering enough, eh.

.

No comments: