Sunday, August 23, 2009

Plans change quickly during wonky weather

The bike was warmed up, I had my cycling jeans on, and was about to check the oil when thick gray clouds started spitting at me.

Not a promising sign.

I thought, I have a job lined up in the shed; pieces of pine for another Rietveld crate chair are ready for my linseed oil/stain mix. Plus, I could write for an hour because (due to a family reunion and an inherited desire to make 6 pounds of potato salad for such events) I need to get next week’s column in very early.

I covered the bike. Writing it is. Then the job in the shed.


["This one needs a mate": photo GAH]

Not a bad trade off.

Though I enjoy motorcycling (especially after I’ve sold a couple of birdhouses; I feel like I’m filling the bike’s gas tank for free), writing and wood work go together in a lovely way.

Why is that?

I’ll think about it while staining the pine inside the dry confines of my wee shed.

***

What do you call it when two activities go together seamlessly?

Do you find an excellent balance is created when you complete two (somewhat dissimilar) tasks back to back?

.

No comments: