Friday, August 28, 2009

The Suicidal Planet: Looks like it will hit many bases

I usually can’t get out of Chapters for under 20 bucks.

I like travelogues (via motorcycle please) and Long Way Down caught my eye recently. I read it while riding my recumbent exercise bike and I’m now in the middle of Africa with Ewan and Charley and in better shape for hockey, to boot.

I like books about nature’s conflict with mankind and picked up The Suicidal Planet at the same time.

So far, it has hit familiar bases, but promises more.

“The greenhouse gases we have been emitting - mainly carbon dioxide from our energy use - will remain in the atmosphere for centuries, in turn causing changes for millennia as the earth slowly reacts. Future generations will bear the heaviest burden for the present generation’s irresponsibility. Time is of the essence. Every year that goes by without an appropriate response reduces the chances of averting an ecological Armageddon and makes the changes required by current and future inhabitants of the planet an increasingly uphill struggle.”

When I was 14 my biggest worry was whether I could impress my oldest sister’s girlfriends or not by wearing a new t-shirt.

My grandson, age 3 in December, will have much different and greater concerns, because, we are slow to act.

.

No comments: