Friday, August 7, 2009

Where does our oft misguided sense of entitlement come from?

In the spirit of entertainment (the entitlement stuff comes later), I not only ask the above question but end my sentence with a preposition.

[That wee preposition will likely keep me from this year’s Pulitzer Prize for Brilliant Literature, but so be it. My name has likely already been scratched from several award lists. And my Uncle Richard’s won’t be sending me a Christmas card this year either because I didn’t drop in to say hello last time I motorcycled through his hometown. Sorry, I’ve taken you down the wrong path. Back to the entitlement thingme.]

Emails have poured in expressing views about my last column.

Why, here’s another one now.

Hi GAH: Let me first say that I enjoy reading your article.  This weeks one managed to annoy me enough to email you.  I would love to know how old this Jane R is (mentioned in the column)?   And was she raised in Fairy Land?

I am all for a society that pays taxes and provides necessities needed to allow for social cohesion.  But upkeep of the Dog park, lol, that is too much.  If our city has any left over cash at the end of the day it should be used on something that would benefit those in need. 

By the way, I have a dog who is very much a treasured part of our family.  We do enjoy visiting the dog parks but my dog is just as happy and stimulated going for a walk.

It is irritating that so many people want to pass the responsibility on to the government, if they want something done why can't they do it themselves.  If you want the dog park to look pretty (which by the way my dog will not notice) then ask city council if you can do it yourself and while your at it why don't you delegate jobs to all the other complainers!

When will this silliness end?  What is the most frightening thing as that often these people are teaching their children this " I deserve" attitude! Have a great day, and thanks for the entertainment!
Signed j

So, where does our oft misguided sense of entitlement come from? Our parents?

I’m going to have to think about this one.

.

No comments: