Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Link and Learn: Do you understand what I’m saying?

Hello to the person from Roosendaal, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands, who visited It Strikes Me Funny recently.

I have a question for you:

I occasionally run with Ruud Veldhuizen, a great young fellow (well, young compared to some of the older fellows) from the Netherlands, and we share great laughs together at times.

Occasionally, however, we don’t get what the other is saying. Then we just stare at each other blankly. We did a lot of staring when we ran the 100 km relay together in Hell, Michigan a few years ago. Of course, 100 km isn’t something to laugh about. I still have scars.

Does my humour (if I can be so bold) come across to you?

Drop a line.

PS Do you know Ruud? Short guy, rumpled clothes?

***

This is how trans-Atlantic communications begin today. Try it yourself.

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

My wife's family is from Noord Brabant, but she was born here. It took me three years to discover that she had a sense of humour. In my opinion humour never travels well across cultural lines. The more subtle, the worse it fares. However fart jokes are universal.

G. Harrison said...

Well, Robert, the visitor has not returned as far as I know. My humour is either over or under his head. Likely under.

GAH