Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Newspaper Clippings: Frugality and saving money - the new black

Staying in the black, and not red, may be around for awhile? A long while?

So says a recent clipping:

“New-found frugality and the tendency to save more may be permanent changes brought about by the recession, according to a new national survey released yesterday.”

It’s about time, eh? And here I thought my ‘Live Small and Prosper’ philosophy wouldn’t catch on until the middle of the next recession. (Most of my predictions are way off. At least I’m consistent).

“The survey found that 63% of U.S. consumers surveyed said the way they spend and save has been forever changed.”

So, if two-thirds of our neighbours don’t buy a leaf blower or large plastic wagon to haul bags of leaves from their yard to the curb, yet at the same time put money away for retirement because pension plans (if they have one!) are in the crapper, then that’s a good thing! Right?


Yes, it is.

“The survey (also) found that around 60% of respondents said they would continue to cut back on everyday expenses, would save and invest more, would continue to cut down on credit-card purchases and to reduce debt.”

I know the above almost sounds unpatriotic and the opposite of everything we’ve ever been told by banks, businesses and governments but I call it a big step in the right direction. One day we may be living a lifestyle that we and the planet can actually afford and sustain.

I tip my hat to 63 per cent of you.

.

No comments: