Monday, October 12, 2009

From the Workshop: Rescued Grade C lumber has a few strengths

It was warm enough inside the workshop this afternoon to paint and stain 10 GH birdhouses, and one turned out good enough to hang on the back fence - in April.


Lumber with green stain came off our house in large amounts during a recent reno and though it looked like Grade C compared to the cedar that took its place I was pretty sure I’d find a use for it.

Single birdhouses and duplexes by the score so far, and the ones with scuffed green stain don’t look too, too bad after a bit of linseed oil and maple stain is applied over top.


The single on the right should look right at home overlooking my backyard.

Once the remaining birdhouses are painted a variety of colours, and trim is applied, I’ll get back to Rietveld chairs - using Grade C as I like to say.


["I'll soon be ready for the next shed night": photos by GAH]

Only 5 more to go and I’ll have a great set for shed nights, i.e. evenings when friends come to visit in order to catch up on local news and help solve the problems of the world.

.

No comments: