Saturday, October 31, 2009

Letter to the Editor: Hallowe’en is a Canadian tradition? What the...

Last Thursday I clipped the following letter and circled 3 things that prove a very unhappy Canadian woman (as unhappy as I’ll be when a grumpy teen knocks on my door this evening in search of sugary treats after spending all of 30 seconds throwing a ‘grumpy teen’ costume together) lives in St. Thomas by the name of Mary T.

Mary wrote (under the heading ‘Costume ban out of line’):

“Why does the minority rule?” (I circled that one.)

“I’ve just heard Hallowe’en costumes are no longer allowed in many of our schools because some minorities don’t celebrate this fun time. (I didn’t circle ‘this fun time’ but I coulda).

“Too bad! It is a Canadian tradition (I circled Canadian tradition. Wouldn’t you?) and if immigrants come to Canada to find a new way of life, new traditions are part of the package deal.

“Let’s start writing our politicians and give them something else to do besides squandering tax dollars.” (I circled the last four words). Signed Mary T.

Am I right that this sounds like one unhappy lady?

Let’s start with Mary’s opening shot at minorities.

Mary, talk to your child’s homeroom teacher. I bet he/she had something to say to the class about costumes, and a party, and Hallowe’en activities, and candy, and how much time would be spent on the aforementioned after collecting information and having deep discussions with the principal and school board.

Smile. It might come down less to ‘minorities rule’ than you think, if at all.


[Photo sent by my sister - with no acknowledgement: She's shameless!]

And, ever heard of double dipping? Why would schools need to spend even 3 minutes on Hallowe’en when there are so many people like you who love it and will do it up big in the neighbourhood?

So, buy yourself some candy and share it with the kids. That’s on you, not the school board.

You say Hallowe’en is a Canadian tradition?

Good grief! I don’t know where to start.

I think, first of all, tradition is too nice a word to waste on the hour or two that children spend collecting candy in my neighbourhood. If it’s anything more than that in the eyes of the majority of kids, Mary, let me know.

Secondly, may I say again, more aghast than the first time - a Canadian tradition?

Hockey isn’t even a Canadian tradition and look how big that is.

I think Hallowe’en can be more aptly described by the words habit, excuse to promote commercial activity (Hallmark and candy companies love Hallowe’en), tooth decay, and a wasted evening (for many - another minority? Maybe, but it’s growing).

And finally, if we paid in taxes what we squander on candy and cookies we’d be out of debt in a big, fat hurry. And we’d be a healthier country.

Tell your politician about that instead, Mary. You’ll do more good.

Signed, Gord Harrison

***

Read another Letter to the Editor by clicking here.

.

No comments: