Monday, October 12, 2009

Link and Learn: I may have a winner in my closet

Last week I mentioned my search for a decent bicycle (I’m fussy, my search may take forever) and included a picture of a cyclist as found on a matchbox label.


["This one would do": from Matchbox Labels, by J. Smith]

I’ve since learned the collecting of matchboxes, labels, match covers and so on is called phillumeny, many people have extensive collections and more information than you’ll likely ever need to know (unless you’re a collector) can be found here and here, and other sites too numerous to mention.

This week, while cleaning out my closet (it’s a long and winding road) I discovered I had the smallest beginnings of a collection myself - one matchbook cover.

When my dad gave me a framed picture of a Cunard ship (that had once hung in the old railroad office in Norwich) the matchbook was stuck in a corner.


Pretty rare I bet.




["Passing the Needles" Cunard Line Canadian Service: photos GAH]

So is the oak frame (painted white when I received it; it became one of my earliest clean-up projects) around the picture or poster, now hanging in a safe location where many can enjoy it.

Though it must be worth a fortune, I have no intention of adding to my collection. After a trip through my closet I’m now determined to go the other way and release some of my stuff to the curb and beyond.

***

Are you a collector, of sorts?

Or going the other way too?

.

No comments: