Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ollie and Me: I approve - the boy is a true contrarian

I’m not sure where the contrarian finds himself in the world-wide scheme of things (somewhere between a dogmatist and an Episcopalian? I’m just not sure) but as a long-time traveller of mostly single-lane foot paths I’m happy to say I find myself quite content.

I thank my lucky stars everyday that, when my teenaged friend David M. encouraged me to smoke Export A non-filtered cigarettes 45 years ago, a red light went off inside my little round head and my mouth formed (something like) the following words in reply:

“Contrary to popular belief, I think they’ll kill me.”

My lovely grandson Ollie has the same genetic makeup as I do and a red light went off yesterday day while his mother was attempting to put his clothes on backwards for his pre-school’s ‘Backwards Day.’

He refused to wear his shirt in the prescribed manner.

“But it’s Backwards Day, Ollie,” said his mom.

“No, it’s Forwards Day,” he said.

That’s my boy!

.

No comments: