Monday, November 2, 2009

One foot in the grave: Mindsets take centuries to change?

As I wrote earlier, in London, England people are being asked to share a grave site with another person.

(According to an Associated Press story) “A lot of people say ‘I’m not putting my Dad in a second-hand grave’” says Gary Burks, superintendent of the City of london Cemetery. “You have to deal with that mindset.”

The attitude of Londoners will change over time because many countries have been reusing graves for almost 200 years.


Change will perhaps occur quickly for those who are faced with limited options, i.e., put Dad in the ground double-decker style in London or buy a plot a greater distance from home. Share a grave or move Dad to the Orkneys.

On the other side of the Atlantic, North Americans must consider limited options as well in face of rising carbon emissions:

1. Continue to prioritize economic growth, and adapt to the consequences of climate change.

2. Prioritize policies aimed at a major reduction of greenhouses gases to minimize the risk of serious climate change, and adapt to the consequent new economic circumstances. (The two options are considered in The Suicidal Planet).

Option 1 sounds like business as usual, an ‘I’m not putting my Dad in a second-hand grave’ philosophy.

Option 2 sounds more like sharing space and resources more carefully, keeping a foot out of the grave.

***

I recommend The Suicidal Planet in ‘Read This’ in the right hand margin.

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Funny you should mention... I've just been exploring a lovely "green" cemetery nearby. Natural burial. I've posted about it twice now, with pictures. Dates back to the 1700's. I would have no objection to sharing under these circumstances. No embalming, no metal caskets.

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

I like your 'natural' thoughts.

my family has agreed to share one plot; we all tend toward cremation, so future generations will be able to find us all easily.

GAH