Monday, December 28, 2009

Memory Lane is just around the corner

My youngest sister Jane emailed me a group of photos under the heading ‘Childhood Memories,’ and though my favourite was a picture of a roller skate key (I think I recalled correctly what each hole was used for), several others rang the proverbial bell.

Plastic spindles for 45s were always found atop my desk or inside its drawer because I spent a lot of money on Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones - one dollar at a time.


Today I have less than a half-dozen 45s hidden away, but sister Jane has the majority of my past collection, still in the carrying case I used to transport them safely to high school dances. (My life as a deejay with slicked back hair - that’s another story).

I also grew up with aluminum ice cube trays as pictured below.


They stacked relatively well on top of one another but if the freezer was really cold I had to hurry a tray to the sink before the metal stuck to my finger tips.

At the sink I’d run a bit of hot water over the bottom of the tray I order to make the crank work a bit easier. And, as a dutiful son, I’d fill the tray back up with water so that it wasn’t sitting in the freezer with just one lonely cube in it.

***

Why is it that 90% of the time the tray only had one cube left in it?

Maybe my youngest sister knows the answer.

Do you use metal or plastic trays? Which seem better?

.

No comments: