Sunday, December 27, 2009

The skate key, hanging from my neck, would swing back and forth

My youngest sister emailed a group of photos (under the heading ‘Childhood memories’) of objects from the 1950s and 60s.

Many of the photos rang a bell, so to speak.

One of my favourite photos follows:


Of course, it’s a roller skate key.

The stamped metal key had three holes, each with a particular use (I think). Maybe you can help.

The square hole was used to loosen or tighten the clamp that held the toe of my shoe in place. Right?

The hexagonal hole was used to adjust the length of the roller skate, so that three or four children could use the same pair of skates on the same afternoon (if they wanted to share). Right?

And a shoe lace was threaded through the oblong hole or slot so that I could hang the key around my neck while skating. (I know I’m right on this one... I think).

Is this how you remember it?

***

Our family lived at the foot of two small hills. Great for skating.

I can still remember the clacking of the wheels and ‘buzzy’ feeling on the soles of my feet.

Been there, done that?

Do you still have a roller skate key in a drawer? Cool!

.

2 comments:

~j said...

wow...that brings back some crazy fun memories. i remember losing my key and having to learn how to use "real" tools. =D

G. Harrison said...

HI Jill,

experience with pliers and vice-grips probably comes in handy every once in awhile.

Cheers,

GAH