Friday, January 15, 2010

Hit Singles: Down I Lay Me Down

Backgrounder: “This song was written several years ago in the months before my father passed away. When he learned his cancer had returned he decided against any further operations and treatment. I admired his bravery, his clarity of mind and wrote this in his voice as if he was looking back over his lifetime.” gaharrison

Down I Lay Me Down

Verse 1:

I’m getting old, my hair is gray,
I may not have too many days.
My mind can’t help but turn around
to see my footsteps on the ground.
I’m looking back over all my years,
reaching for what I hold dear,
My arms are full, my family’s near.
Down I lay me down.

Chorus:

‘Down I lay me down to sleep,
pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
take me home, (take me home).
If I should die before I wake,
bless my soul for Jesus’ sake.
Take me home, (take me home).
Down I lay me down.


[G.D. Harrison, circa 1941, Scotland]

2. Storms of life, my wife faced a few,
we had doubts at time, but then we grew
To understand love’s our goal
to work for over time I’m told.
I guess with age we wiser get,
pay our way, leave no debt.
Try to live with no regret.
Down I lay me down.

3. I always felt most at rest
down country roads, they seemed the best
place to watch birds catch the breeze.
They always put my mind at ease.
I traveled down many roads,
from wander-lust, a thirst to roam.
All those roads led back to home.
Down I lay me down.

4. Made a home, my wife and me,
kids a-plenty on each knee.
Lives to share, hands to hold,
they were my help as I grew old.
No worries now, no doom and gloom,
I know I will see you soon,
I’ll just be in the other room.
Down I lay me down.

gah

More Hit Singles - click here.

.

5 comments:

Katherine Krige said...

That is a lovely tribute Gord. I didn't know you tried your hand at music/poetry. Very nice

bobbie said...

Very nice indeed. He's smiling, I'm sure.

G. Harrison said...

Hi K and bobbie,

sometimes a song does the work of miles of writing.

a few verses can encapsulate a lot of interesting feelings. 'down I lay me' seems to fit w my dad.

Gord

Crazylegs said...

Thanks for this lovely poetry, Gord. The timing must mean something. I've been thinking about my Dad all day. Cancer took him a couple of years ago. He would have turned 66 today. Many thanks, indeed.

GAH said...

Hi CLegs,

thanks for your comment; a friend lost his mother last week, and as I was reviewing a few songs yesterday I turned the page to one about dad. he and I share several qualities (not all fine) so he is never far from my mind.

cancer is never friendly, is it? too many fine people, like your own father, die too young.

GH