Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Today’s Weather: Deforest City is losing its snow cover

Tree cover has been shrinking over the years thanks to our love for single-family homes placed in subdivisions with strangely familiar names - like Forest Glen, where a forest and a lovely glen used to be.

(I tip my hat to Reforest London and other like-minded groups and people who plant trees to stem the tide).

And now the snow is leaving town thanks to last week’s January thaw.


["A wee bit of snow with an icy coating": photos GAH]

A bit of ice covered my deck this morning (almost had a tumble; had I landed on my head you would have heard the yelp) - that bodes well - I’m thinking the thaw will likely slow down for a few days before picking up again... say next Sunday.

Thanks to the thaw, only a wee bit of snow is left atop my weather monitoring station, i.e., a pile of bricks. Thanks to grandson Ollie, the giraffe and construction worker have gone indoors.


Where I once had 10 - 11 inches of snow I now have 4 - 5.

The only spot with lots of snow is the garden, and that’s because I use it as a sawdust dumping ground. Looks messy now but once I turn the soil in May it will be ready for tomatoes.


Not that I’m ready for tomatoes myself. Snow until March - that’s my wish.

.

No comments: