Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Point of View: Is Wortley Village the right place for luxury condos? Part 1

[The following is the first of a few short thoughts about the development process as it pertains to an empty lot at the corner of Wortley Rd. and Bruce St. in Old South, London]

I live in Old South - home to Wortley Village, a rare gem of a community if I ever saw one - one and a half blocks from Wortley Rd., a Valu-Mart and The Wort, a little more than three blocks from Wortley and Craig St. (aka the corner of coffee and hardware), and, on average, two blocks from my family doctor, fresh health food, bank and the muddy parking lot upon which a developer wants to soon erect a commercial-residential building.

As a 30-year resident of one of the most unique neighbourhoods in Ontario, if not Canada, allow me to say (surprise, surprise) I have some feelings and opinions about the proposed development.

I first heard that something was happening to the parking lot when Wendy McCaul, another resident of Old South, emailed the following on Feb. 5th:

Subject: Plan for building at Wortley & Bruce

Hi Gord:
 
I'm always glad to read (in The Londoner) how fond you are of Old South/Wortley Village... So, I thought you may be upset by the following, as I was when I found out this afternoon.  You may have heard already about a proposal to put a four-story retail/apartment building at the corner of Wortley and Bruce...

I saw a picture of what they're planning; it's a huge monstrosity that extends right up to the sidewalk and fills most of the lot, and doesn't fit in at all w/ the other buildings in the Village.  I think a building like that would take away from the charm and ambiance of Wortley Village, in addition to making it much busier than it needs to be, as well as causing additional problems w/ parking.


Art dealer Al Stewart voiced concerns about a luxury condo development in Wortley Village. (Photo by Mike Hensen; full article at The London Free Press)

My first feeling about the situation went something like this: I don’t mind if a retail/apartment building goes up there.

If asked for my opinion I would have said, “Let me show you a sketch of what I think would fit.”

Then I’d quickly draw a three-story U-shaped building with an inner courtyard/cafe seating area.

“I’d love to live in a building like this," I'd say, "It reminds me of the hostel inside the walled part of Old Quebec City.

"And every morning I’d look down into the courtyard to see if any friends were sitting with a coffee. And I’d stick my head out the kitchen window and tell them I’d be down in a minute, after I crawled out of my pajamas.

"And they’d say, hurry up, it’s after 10 o’clock already.”

So, as you can see, I initially felt fine about some kind of development, and later in the day, while walking to The Red Roaster, I gazed at the lot (empty, except for a dozen cars) and knew my idea for a three-story building was brilliant.

Wendy’s email, of course, mentioned ‘a four-story retail/apartment building,’ and other details that didn’t sit well with me.

***

If you have questions or information to add re the development process, please feel free to let me know.

Please click here to read Part 2.

.

5 comments:

Katherine Krige said...

I cannot say that I think their plan fits in witht he fit of the village at all. I do not have a problem with somesort of development, but it should be something that fits with the feel of the village. I was talking with a friend about this and we also remarked that after all the renovations that went on a few doors down, the art gallery must not be pleased either.

Crazylegs said...

I agree - the plan is a terrible fit. I've always felt that old, muddy parking lot should be put some better use, but this isn't it. I can understand the developer wanting to maximize the lot's earning potential, but cramming a box full of condos, cars, and storefronts into a confined space is not right for the village.

I like your idea, Gord. Build something that embraces and supports the community vibe. Just don't make it a pain for me to visit The Village Tail for my weekend catfood run!

G. Harrison said...

HI KKRIGE

I think just about everything re the proposal so far doesn't 'fit.'

Design features can and likely will be adjusted, but the size, particularly the height, is the key issue in my opinion.

See you at The Roaster!

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Hi Crazylegs,

Thanks for your comment. I think your cat food run will be hampered to some degree. How much?

The community gathered in large numbers at City Hall the other night and though design features were addressed the overall size was not.

Mr. Tennant is not listening to the community's chief concern. Terrible fit is right, not just concerning the building. The developer is not from around these parts, so to speak. He doesn't know what a community is.

More to follow, as you might have guessed!

Cheers,

Gord

Anonymous said...

Old South residence and tax payers should not concern themselves with people who come here for 15 mins to purchase cat food! all we should care about is people who pay tax here and who walk and shop in the village which any development here would produce. Each one of these condos would have 2 or more people in the village everyday walking in and out of their property shopping and supporting the village. Why is everyone so small minded. They have changed the harsh outside which I disagreed with so no one should have a complaint and everyone should welcome this development.