Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Well done, Canada. Something’s up

Maybe it’s the warmer temperatures (I’m sure it is) but a few plants are growing in my front garden.

“Something’s growing,” I said to my wife recently. and pointed at a wee slip of a thing poking its head out of the mud and mulch.

“What is it?” she said.

“I don’t know,” I said, “but it’s something.”

The same can now be said about Canadian consumers. Something’s up.

According to a recent survey, Canadian consumers are becoming more confident, though still aren’t ready to make major purchases.

So, way to go, Canada. You’re getting more confident, and I guess that’s important.

If you want to know how confident I can only say that the TNS Canadian Fact’s Consumer Confidence Index (aka TNSCFCCI, or HUH!?) rose to 99.4 in March, up from 97.6 in Feb.

I mean, that’s huge, isn't it?. I can’t say it’s a percentage, but it’s something. And it’s up.

“Canadians are not only feeling a bit better about the economy’s immediate prospects, but its future prospects as well,” said a TNS VP (aka Earl). (Mar. 13, London Free Press).


["HUH?"]

As well, unemployment is down a titch which means employment is up a titch. That’s something else that’s up.

The Present Situation Index (PSI; not to be confused with the David Caruso TV show out of MIami) is up 6 points since last month too.

The Expectation Index, which measures consumers views of income and employment is up to 111.9. Thought you should know.

The only bad news: The Buy Index (BI), ‘which measures the degree to which people think the current period is a good time to make major purchases, fell one point to 101.1.'

In spite of that, way to go Canada, because something is up and it made the news. So, it must be important.

***

How about those Maple Leafs, eh?

Ok, time for coffee.

.

No comments: