Saturday, March 20, 2010

Port Bruce Birdhouses Pt 3: More than I can shake a stick at

I’ve said before, my bike takes me to Port Bruce and the north shore of Lake Erie about 20 times per year.

Therefore, last week was a typical week, and I ended up there twice - but on a mission, not just for coffee and hot dog lightly topped with fresh condiments and sand.

The mission - to take pictures of more birdhouses than I could shake a stick at.


["Room w a View": photos GAH]

After snapping a few that were perched no more than 50 meters from the waves I headed west toward fields that edged the lake and were home to a half dozen rectangular boxes visible from a distance.

I parked my bike at the side of the road a mile out of town and plodded across a sandy, grassy field.


["Good, sturdy homes for cliff swallows"]


I discovered the birdhouses were plain and simple, but very practical, and have the best view imaginable for any cliff swallows that choose to make them home.


["Remove one nail only for spring cleaning: Very easy"]

I like the fact a person can swing open the right side of each box (for spring cleaning) by pulling out one protruding nail - a feature my Dad used years ago and I now use on many of my own boxes.

Easy schmeasy!

***

I saw a half dozen other birdhouse locations, at which I’ll have to stop someday soon, on my way home to London that afternoon.

.

No comments: