Saturday, March 13, 2010

Searching For a Glass of Fine Beer: Guinness Draught

I’ve had Beamish. It’s not the same. I’ve had O’Hara’s and Murphy’s stout. They’re not the same, though lovely in their own way.

But when I want stout I’ll generally buy cans of Guinness Draught.


["Do you have any Guinness at home?": photos by GAH]

Today’s purchase started with a phone call from my wife.

“Do you have any Guinness at home,” she asked.

“No,” I said.

She then explained she was outside an LCBO, needed Guinness for a recipe (My gosh, I thought. I am such a lucky guy), and was about to go inside.


I explained she could buy a four-pack of cans for about $12, and she agreed to do that rather than buy just one can. (I thought, thank you!)

I am now enjoying the first of the three cans not needed in a recipe, having just sent in my weekly column before deadline, listening to Closing Time by Tom Waits, and strongly feel (I’m not gently suggesting...) there are few things better than a glass of stout purchased by one’s partner. Try to sway me, if you dare.


For all those from another planet, Guinness is brewed in Ireland.

Though Guinness in other forms has been brewed at St. James’s Gate in Dublin since 1759, Guinness Draught has only been with us since 1959.

And how shall I describe it now that I’m certain I’m spelling it correctly with two nns and sses?

Well, it has a lovely nose. Distinctive, like burnt malts.


The book ‘Beers of the World’ by David Kenning says the taste reflects a burnt-caramel bitterness, so maybe the burnt smell is from caramel. It’s still lovely.

The taste that comes from the 440 ml cans (under $3 per, a good bargain) is lovely lovely, which is, in my humble opinion, twice as lovely as lovely.

“Guinness Draught has a deep, dry roasted malt flavor with a refreshing burnt-caramel bitterness and a slightly sour edge...,” says Mr. Kenning.

Me? I say, I like that the flavour fills my mouth, swirls around my tongue and stays long in my throat.


I’ll add that it’s a meal in itself, a manly stout and was - likely still is - the post-run beverage of choice for most of the marathoners I ever toiled long and hard with in the not-too distant past.

Will I buy it again?

Yes. I’ll have it on my beer list well into my 90s.

***

Do you drink Guinness? Why or why not?

Did a woman you know ever say she drank Guinness after giving birth?

Did she enjoy it? I.e., the Guinness, not the birth.

Please click here to read my last beer review - Alexander Keith's IPA.

See lower right hand margin for the growing list of reviews.

.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Ahh good old Guinness...To answer you first question yes I have enjoyed a few. To answer your second. No, Katlin never asked for one to my disappointment :). Have you tried McAuslan Oatmeal Stout. What a treat!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for dropping by. I have tried other stouts and found 1 or 2 to my liking, McAuslan included. Very nice indeed.

Keep well,

GH