Saturday, April 24, 2010

Accidental detour leads to funky birdhouse discoveries

I packed two cameras onto my motorcycle yesterday because I was fully intending to do some birdhouse spotting while delivering a rustic birdbox to another builder.

I had my route planned: Take 401 (more practice on the freeway before my June ride to Halifax) to Belmont exit, then head south to the New Sarum Diner for a cheeseburger before my meet up with Mr. Stacey.

(I know: Retired life is rough, eh?)


[“Feeder on Lammer property, Dorchester Rd., south of 401”]

But, I got distracted while watching traffic (“The truck over my right shoulder is huge!”) and missed my exit to Belmont.

Next stop: Dorchester Rd.


[“Hollow post with active bluebird nest; funky roof!”: photos GAH]

I’ve been on the road before but not with the intention of spotting birdhouses, and when I saw an ornate bird feeder on a farmer’s property I turned around and parked in the driveway.


[“Triple decker. Chainsaw created openings for thin dividers”]

What a great bunch of finds. Bird feeders and boxes everywhere.

The farmer even grabbed a pitch fork and lowered a unique creation I’d never seen the likes of before. (Next post)


[“This is one of my favourites. Perfect w barn board.”]

I will return, because Mr. (Bert) Lammer is going to cut a hollow maple log in half and set it aside for me.

The accidental detour was worth the time it delayed my cheeseburger lunch.

***

“The path less travelled...” springs to mind.

Please click here for more birdhouse spotting on a Mennonite property.

.

No comments: