Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Birdhouse Hunting: Modified gourds on Rush Creek Rd., Port Bruce

I went birdhouse hunting on Sunday and though I could have stopped a dozen times I only pulled my motorcycle over to the side of the road twice.

Once beside Catfish Creek to snap a photo of a lone birdhouse.


The second time beside Rush Creek to meet the ‘purple martin’ man and snap photos of unique contraptions, the like of which I have never before seen.

The purple martin man (Wayne Cahill, an experienced reader and observer of many types of birds) welcomed me onto his property and was happy to answer any and all questions while I snapped pix of this and that.

This: Cleverly modified gourds.


[“Gourds painted white to reflect the heat”: photos GAH]


[“Gourds have two port-holes; one for bird entry; another for viewing by Mr. Cahill”]

That: One natural gourd beside the driveway.


[“This one reminded me I have one in storage. Time to dust it off.”]

Mr. Cahill is a master of modification. Wait ‘til you see what’s next.

.

No comments: